Pressure...can it motivate or de-motivate a student?
Surprisingly I just realised I fall into the former category (well, at least for today!)
I've just started my 5th paper in the Graduate Certificate in E-Learning...unfortunately I was two, nigh on three weeks late in enrolling ...right now I'm wondering if I can catch up.
I think I can...this is something I'm determined to do...but I think there are a few things to take into account here:
#1 There has to be internal motivation. Today I want to achieve...will I feel the same tomorrow? Right now, I'm sure I can but who knows what challenges tomorrow may bring for the keen student.
# 2 (From above) Who will inspire me tomorrow? My online teacher? My online colleagues? Me?
#3 Is the pressure achievable? For me, today, I think so....
But I am left wondering...
How does one phrase an encouraging message to student who is late to enrol?
Sue
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Sue
I think so far we have been orientating ourselves to where the information is and a bit of reading. You can definitely catch up!!
Good luck :)
Yvonne
hello sue
this is a great post and I am so glad you are up and running so quickly - here and on the wiki intro. The first humps are now quashed.
The first week in the course was deliberately relaxed and enabled people to orientate themselves to the course and get their blog set up.
Some of the first enrollees are still not up and running due to various work pressures. So I am impressed that you jumped in mud and all! Fantastic!
wk2 was also deliberately low key with a few questions for people to consider.
Week 3 requires more work,however, but take your time to catch up - the week 4 topic is spread over two weeks to allow for easter. so you can use those weeks for catch up.
I mean it no pressure. I suggest you keep an eye on the course blog and I will summarise and point people to others' blogs where interesting points have been made.
I look forward to hearing about your experience with evaluation.
Hi Sue
Nice to have you 'on board'. The course material seems manageable, it's just the technology that keeps hitting me in the face! So should be able to catch up I think.
Bye for now
Hilary
Hi Yvonne & Hilary - nice to see you both again :)
Hi Bronwyn - nice to meet you on here (I did meet you briefly last year as part of the E-Learning Communities Alumni...unfortunately work and life got the better of me there and I was unable to interact as hoped.)
It's nice to know that you all think catching up will be easy. So far, yes it does seem manageable and it's great to know that week 4 is spread over two weeks.
Bronwyn - something I probably didn't make clear in my blog posting was that your 'no pressure' e-mail was very encouraging and MADE me jump in the deep end...I was left wondering why this was so.
I'm sure it would be just as easy to de-motivate a student if the e-mail was poorly phrased...
Anyway, enough thinking for now - I need to catch up :)
Sue
G'day Sue,
Nice to be working with you again.
There is some good stuff on the wiki to get you up to speed. The weekly tasks are all there. I have also been a late starter so understand where you are at.
Gordon
Post a Comment